The day before we filmed, I looked at the best techniques of recording and what camera effects and settings should be used for the best film effect. It was then that I discovered that all professional films are recorded in a certain format that gives it that "film effect" which looks different compared to a conventional TV program. The format that present films are recorded in are in 24fps (frames per second). I done some research as to why this setting is used to record films and discovered that it gives a more natural look to the human eye. This is because the human eye can only see a certain amount of frames per second and matching that will give a natural look whereas recording in another format such as 25fps will look unnatural. Even though it is only 1 extra frame per second, it does change the whole effect of the film itself. Some people had recorded in 30fps and when compared to ours, it was noticeable to see how unnatural and fake looking the film gave as an impression.
The decision to record in 24fps seemed a smart move and this move was made based on how our preliminary looked in terms of "film realism." When we began recording, due to our location we discovered that we had to take many things into account when recording. We learned that lighting as well as camera angles and mise en scene had all had to be taken into account. This is where we experimented with various techniques. Intuitive camera angles were used to see if we can come up with something different, (something we had not done in the preliminary).
|Here we tried to be creative|
but ultimately failed.
The preliminary task was a great way for us to get to grips with the editing program Final Cut Pro. Having little experience before hand with the preliminary, we only knew then how to do the basics such as cut clips and move them around the timeline with little perfection. Since then, we have developed our skills and been able to do more refined editing such as split the sound from the video, slow down clips and edit to more professional standards e.g. cutting out unnecessary and unrelated clips to precision. This was only done once we became more comfortable with the software. With the preliminary film, we only knew the basics and as we were not entirely sure how to use the program, the cutting of clips and along with timing and continuity seemed quite amateurish. Match cuts was something we had taken into account this time. Instead of just throwing in clips together that seemed as if they related, match cuts were used to link actions together from different camera angles making the continuity much better as the clips linked together better.
As the preliminary was there for us to get to grips with the basics of film making, we did not use sound creating software as we did not have enough experience to use it. We did manage to get the hang of the soundtrack after we had a tutorial of how to use the software. The software we did use was Soundtrack Pro in the end. This program allowed us to effectively create music, sound effects and sound bridges to insert into our film.